The Silo Hotel Cape Town Mandela Heritage Tour 6 Day Vacation
Cape Town’s most iconic luxury hotel – Voted by Travel & Leisure as Best City Hotel in Africa 2020. The Silo Hotel is a celebration of art, architecture, style and design. The Silo Hotel has been built in the grain elevator portion of the historic grain silo complex occupying six floors above Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa (MOCAA) which houses Africa’s largest collection of contemporary African art. The exterior of the building was designed by Heatherwick Studio. From the outside, the greatest visible change to the building’s original structure is the addition of the ingenious glass windows inserted into the geometry of the hotel floors. These multi-faceted structures glisten like diamonds during the day while at night the building transforms into a glowing beacon in the Table Bay harbour.
Cape Town, South Africa’s been called the Fairest Cape of the circumference of the earth‚ and the Tavern of the Seas. Today it is fondly called the mother city of South Africa.
- Arrive in Cape Town. Met at the airport and transferred to your hotel. Check-in at hotel. Time to relax and freshen-up.
- Check-in at The Silo. Time to relax and freshen-up.
- Cape Town has a rich multi-cultural history because of its position as a stopping point for ships plying their trade between the east and the west. Today it is a meeting place for Africa and the rest of the world, which gives it its own vibrancy. Cape Town is a colourful and vibrant city surrounded by dramatic mountains and sandy beaches. It is certainly one of the most beautiful cities in the world – presided over by one of the 7 Natural Wonders of The World – Table Mountain. The magic of Cape Town lies in the collision of natural wonder, diverse cultures, art, design and a thriving food and wine scene. Cape Malay, Dutch and British architecture sit side by side with cutting edge 21st century loft apartments and slick skyscrapers. Sit a while in Cape Town and take in the buzz and bustle of flower sellers, buskers, food markets and Capetonians going about their daily lives. A short ride away is the infamous Robben Island where you’ll find the erstwhile prison cell of the late Father of the Nation, Nelson Mandela.
- Dinner – included at The Silo Hotel.
- Overnight: The Silo Hotel 5* (DB&B)
The Silo Hotel is situated in the heart of Cape Town’s V&A Waterfront. Surrounded by the natural wonder of South Africa’s Mother City, The Silo Hotel is a celebration of art, style, architecture, and design. The Silo has been built in the grain elevator part of the historic grain silo complex occupying six floors above Zeitz MOCAA (Museum of Contemporary Art Africa). Zeitz MOCAA houses Africa’s largest collection of contemporary Africa.
- EXPERIENCES IN CAPE TOWN • Table Mountain • Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens • Cape of Good Hope • Robben Island • Art Galleries & Museums
Cape Town and Robben Island
Day 2. CAPE TOWN
- Cape Town City tour: Full-day escorted scheduled tour
- Robben Island was declared a World Heritage Site because the buildings on the island are a reminder of its sad history and because the same buildings also show the power of the human spirit, freedom and the victory of democracy over oppression. Since 1997 Robben Island has been a museum acting as a focal point of South African heritage. Freedom fighters, like Nelson Mandela, spent more than a quarter of a century in prison for their beliefs.
- The diverse cultural heritage and rich historic past are evident when one visits the various national museums and sights such as the Castle Good Hope dating back to the Dutch East Indies Company, the South African Cultural History Museum, the District Six Museum. You will have an excellent panoramic view of the city bowl from the top of Table Mountain.
- Dinner – at leisure to enjoy great innovative local cuisine or one of the many restaurants at the Waterfront or in the city.
- Overnight: Overnight: The Silo Hotel 5* (B&B)
Day 3. CAPE TOWN
- Full day Peninsula escorted scheduled tour.
- A ride around the Cape Peninsula sets the tone for a touring holiday of spectacular proportions. The playgrounds of the rich and famous at Clifton and Camps Bay are passed through on the way to the Chapman’s Peak and Hout Bay. Cutting into the cliffs overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, the road makes for one of the most magnificent drives in the world.
- Cross over Red Hill and make your way through the historic navel town of Simon’s Town before moving onto the wild and rocky promontory of Cape Point where the Indian and Atlantic Oceans are supposed to meet.
- Visit the Cape of Good Hope and Cape Point Nature Reserve at the meeting point of the two ocean currents. Visit the penguin colony at Boulders Beach and enjoy a live encounter with these fascinating creatures.
- Head out of the reserve clinging to the coastline, before turning inland through the thick forests of Constantia Neck to the Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens and the city.
- Dinner – at leisure.
- Overnight: Overnight: The Silo Hotel 5* (B&B)
Paarl, Stellenbosch and Franschhoek
Day 4 . CAPE TOWN – (PAARL) – STELLENBSOCH – FRANSCHHOEK
- After breakfast transfer and private tour to Franschhoek via Paarl & Stellenbosch.
- The scenic town of Paarl, only a 40-minute drive outside Cape Town is at the foot of the second-largest granite outcrop in the world. Paarl proudly bears the title of the third-oldest town in South Africa. Just outside Paarl en route to Franschhoek is Drakenstein Prison, where Nelson Mandela spent his last years of captivity and started his walk to freedom.
- Stellenbosch, the second oldest town in South Africa after Cape Town was established in 1679 by Simon Van der Stel, the Governor of the Dutch East India company. The pretty university town is now the heart of the Premier Wine Route in South Africa. Well-preserved historical houses and oak trees line the streets. Four of these houses today form the comprehensive Stellenbosch Museum. Its university of more than 16 000 students gives the town a vibrant and youthful atmosphere.
- Franschhoek a tranquil village, twenty minutes from Stellenbosch, and 1½ from Cape Town is known for its French Huguenot Heritage, centuries-old vineyards and Cape Dutch architecture. One of the oldest towns in South Africa, founded in 1688 by French Huguenots, this scenic town nestles in a rich and fertile valley surrounded by towering mountains. Many of South Africa’s oldest and most famous wine estates are found in this valley. Franschhoek is also affectionately known as the gourmet capital of South Africa with many of the country’s top-rated restaurants in close proximity.
Visit some the local premier wineries and estates en route such as:
- Tokara Wine Estate is a modern winery with dramatic views over Stellenbosch and False Bay. The visitor is treated to expansive vineyard views, tastings & an art gallery plus a chic restaurant. Powerful reds and delicate whites focused on Cabernet Sauvignon and Sauvignon blanc offer an exciting range of wines, and an olive oil plant nearby adds to the atmosphere of the area. Over the years the obvious connection with fine art has been extended to the winery entrance which houses a gallery of curated art and a sculpture garden.
- Delaire Graff Estate. With breathtaking views over the Banghoek Valley from the terrace, Delaire Graff is dedicated to beauty in its many forms. Jeweller Laurence Graff has transformed an extraordinary natural setting into a world-class destination for wine, art, and cuisine. With 20 hectares of vineyards planted with Bordeaux reds and Chardonnay grapes, they produce supremely elegant vintages and have been named one of the Top 50 wineries by the World’s Best Vineyards — placing them first within the African continent.
- L’Ormarins Wine Estate, one of the oldest in the Franschhoek Valley, was acquired by the late Dr Anton Rupert in 1969 and is now under the ownership of Johann Rupert. The estate produces award-winning wines, L’Ormarins being just one of the farms and brands within the Anthonij Rupert stable..Enjoy some Huguenot legacy at one of the prettiest wine etstates in the whole of the winelands. The Franschhoek Motor Museum on the estate houses one of the biggest collections of vintage cars in the world. L’Ormarin is also known for its horses but especially its wines.
- La Motte wines have won a host of international awards and are highly sought-after. Their fine wines, including some exceptional reds, can be sampled in the stylish tasting room. Visit the museum and art Gallery. The largest room in the museum is dedicated to the life and art of one of South Africa’s greatest masters, Jacob Hendrik Pierneef. A selection of works by other South African artists are also exhibited.
Lunch at a local restaurant or wine estate (own account)
Dinner – included at the hotel
- Overnight: La Residence 5* (DB&B)
La Residence is surrounded by vineyards and plum orchards, with a spectacular mountain backdrop, breath-taking views of the undulating countryside and an atmosphere of complete tranquillity. The 30-acre Estate is the perfect place to unwind. With swimming pools, a spa, restaurant, vineyards and endless private spaces. The La Residence Estate not only produces their own wines but have an extensive wine list showcasing South Africa’s most distinguished wines.A new benchmark for luxury Franschhoek accommodation, La Residence is a tranquil haven of comfort and relaxation. Elegant antiques and exquisite flowers create a feeling of refinement and sophistication.
La Residence, Franschhoek
Day 5: FRANCHHOEK
- Franschhoek is affectionately known as the gourmet capital of South Africa with many of the country’s top-rated restaurants in close proximity.
- Experiences in Franschhoek • Wine Tasting • Helicopter Wine Tours • Art Tours • Restaurants and Wineries
- Complimentary shuttle service to and from Franschhoek village.
- Dinner – at leisure to experience one of the many award-winning restaurants in Franschhoek
- Overnight: La Residence 5* BB
Day 6. DEPARTURE DAY / OPTIONAL EXTENSION
- Departure Day / Optional extension
- After breakfast time at leisure before the departure to the airport. Depart Cape Town
END OF ARRANGEMENTS.
TOTAL COST PER PERSON: RATES VALID TO 31 DEC 2022
ZAR 49,750.00 (±US$ 3,250.00) PP/sharing – Low Season
ZAR 60,450.00 (±US$ 3,950.00) PP/sharing – Mid Season
ZAR 67,350.00 (±US$ 4,400.00) PP/sharing – Peak Season
Low Season: May, June, July
Mid Season: August/ September/Oct/ 1-14 Dec*
Peak Season: March & Nov
*Festive Season Supplement: 15-31 December
Some Optional Extras
The Silo Rooftop is the ideal spot for a sunset cocktail or a casual lunch.
OPEN DAILY | FROM 12PM UNTIL SUNSET (WEATHER PERMITTING)
Oysters and champagne of The Silo Rooftop and a wonderful massage in the Silo Spa which includes rooftop pool access. A truly indulgent spa experience at The Silo Hotel in Cape Town’s V&A Waterfront. The Silo Spa, located on the fourth floor of The Silo Hotel, has five treatment rooms, two of which can be made into a couple’s room. The Silo Spa is a tranquil space in which guests can relax and indulge in the latest therapies and spa techniques. There’s also a gym, sauna and a dedicated manicure and pedicure area. Enjoy signature treatments using top international products including Ling and Black Pearl. The Silo Spa is the only spa in Africa to use exclusive Ling products. Our expert therapists ensure that you receive the perfect treatment for your individual skin type and requirements through an interactive consultation process.
ZAR R1750 pp (USA $120pp)
Zeitz MOCAA Private Tour
The Resident Art Concierge will take you on an inspiring and informative art journey through the Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa (Zeitz MOCAA).
“The Museum is a public not-for-profit contemporary art museum that collects, preserves, researches and exhibits 21st-century art from Africa and its diaspora; hosts international exhibitions; develops supporting educational and enrichment programmes; encourages intercultural understanding, and guarantees access for all. The galleries, spread over several floors, are dedicated to a large cutting-edge collection gallery; exhibition galleries; and Centres for Art Education, Curatorial Training, Performative Practice, Photography, and the Moving Image.”
Tours are available Monday – Sunday between 10h00 and 17h00
*Museum closes at 18h00
*Maximum of 8 guests per tour.
R4000 (US$265) per tour– I hour (Max 8 people)
Le Residence Spa
La Residence offers a range of luxurious and truly indulgent spa treatments for resident and non-resident guests in the tranquil, air-conditioned double treatment room. Resident guests may choose to have their treatments in the privacy of their own suite or balcony, or in the peaceful Tea House overlooking the dam. There is no finer indulgence to round off a day exploring the winelands than a relaxing full body massage.
From ZAR R990 (USA $60) 1 Hour
KRUGER NATIONAL PARK – 3 NTS ROYAL MALEWANE
Royal Malewane offers an exceptional wildlife experience in extraordinary style and comfort. Royal Malewane is a luxury safari lodge in South Africa’s Greater Kruger National Park that exudes the romance and beauty of a bygone age while offering every modern comfort. The most qualified guiding team in Africa delivers an unrivalled wildlife experience providing fascinating insights into the complex ecosystems of the South African bushveld.
ZAR 94,220 PP sharing (±$6,200) – Mid Season
(01 March – 31 May, 01 September – 19 December)
ZAR 99,850 PP sharing (±$6,500) – Peak Season
(01 June – 31 August, 20 – 31 December)
Rates are per person and includes:
- Accommodation in a Luxury Suite
- All meals and snacks
- Wireless internet / Laundry service
- Full mini bar / SA premium wines & beverages
- Transfers from Jackelberry Airstrip
- 2 Game drives and Bush Walks per day
- Spa treatments
- Flights and transfers to Royal Malewane.
Guests can fly into Hoedspruit and get a road transfer to Royal Malewane or fly direct to the private airstrip at Royal Malewane. Road transfers from Hoedspruit airport to Royal Malewane are at an added cost.
Cost includes Prices are per person sharing
- Accommodation in 5* hotels based on a Silo Room category, and on a Luxury room at La Residence.
- Full buffet breakfasts daily
- Bottle of Sparkling Wine on arrival at The Silo
- Two 3-course dinners: one at The Silo in Cape Town and one at
- La Residence in Franschhoek. (Excluding drinks)
- Wireless internet
- Limited mini bar at The Silo / Full minibar at La Residence
- Local beverages and house wine/ coffees and teas at La Residence
- Transfers and tours as per itinerary
- Wine tasting as per itinerary
- Entrance fees as per itinerary
- Meals other than stated
- All drinks and refreshments other than stated above
- Items of a personal nature such as laundry, ‘phone calls etc
- Tips for drivers and guides
We can tailor-make any travel requirements to suit your needs.
Please let us know how we can help to make your visit to South Africa a very special and memorable experience.
DIRECT FLIGHTS BETWEEN THE USA AND SOUTH AFRICA:
ATLANTA – JOHANNESBURG: DAILY EXCEPT MONDAYS: 07:25 PM – Arrive 04:55 PM (the following day)
JOHANNESBURG – ATLANTA: DAILY EXCEPT TUESDAYS: 09:55 PM – Arrive 08:00 AM (the following day)
NEWARK NYC – CAPE TOWN: WED/FRI/SUN: 08:15 PM – Arrive 05:10 PM
CAPE TOWN – NEWARK NYC: MON/THU/SAT: 07:40 PM – Arrive :05:20 AM